Denver, CO, USA
Job Type: Paid Internship or Partnership
You may have heard the phrase, variety is the spice of life. That’s OptimumG. As an intern, you’ll notice the variety not only in your work, but also in the people. Our team is multiethnic and our client base is international – with series such as the World Endurance Challenge, American Le Mans Series, IndyCar, Australian V8 Supercars, Blancpain European GT Series, Argentinian Touring Cars 2000 and many more.
In 1997, our president and founder, Claude Rouelle, began OptimumG as a one-man, shop teaching vehicle dynamics seminars around the globe. OptimumG has now grown to become one of the world’s most sought-after racecar engineering ﬁrms – oﬀering simulation software solutions, training seminars and consulting services.
Job Description and Responsibilities
OptimumG is looking for students who can perform their internship and/or thesis with us and work on different vehicle dynamics software development projects which will include some, or all of the following tasks:
- Develop optimization codes in C++.
- Develop libraries of mathematical tools in C++. That is, mathematical tools to compute Bode diagrams, Nyquist plots, Taylor series expansions, polynomial fitting etc.
- Develop executable/.dll from MATLAB codes which can be plugged to .NET Framework languages like C#/VB.NET.
- Re-program existing .NET Framework code in C++ for computationally expensive vehicle dynamic models, integration schemes, iterative solvers, and optimization algorithms.
- Create realistic animations to visualize simulations. This includes development of realistic 3D visualizations of components like springs, dampers, bump stops, tires, front/rear wings, suspension linkages and more.
- Develop foundational architecture for existing OptimumG software using SysML or UML.
- Develop UML diagrams for mathematical methods like numerical integrators, iterative solvers, optimization algorithms.
- Develop SysML diagrams of complex 4-wheel and 2-wheel vehicle models.
- Develop SysML/UML diagrams of the framework which binds the vehicle model with mathematical methods.
- Develop UML models for the graphical user interface of OptimumG software.
- Prepare tire-models for real-time deployment.
- Implement real-time capabilities in vehicle model for simulator deployment.
- Implement hyper-threading to simulate different components of the vehicle model efficiently in a real-time environment.
This internship is one year (or for the duration of the Master’s program), which long enough for you to be properly trained. We want you to learn as much as possible so you feel independent enough to take charge of interesting and challenging projects.
- Proactive and capable of working with little guidance.
- Good problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Excellent oral and written English communication.
- Background in Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Robotics, Mechatronics, Computer Science, or similar fields
- Fluency in MATLAB, C++, C#, and using .NET Framework. (Previous experience with C++ is preferred)
- Strong mathematical and/or physics background
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming
- Knowledge of System Modelling, SysML and/or UML
- Exposure to real-time simulations or deployment of code in hardware
- Basic knowledge of gradient-based/gradient-free optimization and dynamic simulations (having previous courses on these subjects is preferred)
- Computer science/software development background.
- Formula Student experience is an advantage but is not mandatory.
- Knowledge of CAD software (SolidWorks, Siemens NX, CATIA etc)
- Knowledge in programmatically creating 3D visualization of components and their animations.
- Basic knowledge of longitudinal, lateral, and vertical vehicle dynamics
Tips for a Successful Application
Stand out and impress us! Those items are key because there’s a lot of competition. Send us examples (as attachments to your application) of your work and experience and highlight your strengths.
How to Apply
- Send your resume and a cover letter highlighting your uniqueness. Describe your practical experience (both software and motorsports) and your theoretical knowledge/education. Share how your participation in OptimumG will beneﬁt the company. And, don’t forget, send samples of your work (thesis, engineering report, CAD, spreadsheets, MATLAB scripts, etc.)
- We are looking for a description of the jobs that your education and extra curricular experience have allowed you to complete satisfactorily.
- We will conﬁrm we’ve received your information and contact you if we’re interested.
- If we are interested, you’ll give you a software coding test based on your skills and experience.
- After that, we’ll schedule an interview.
Reflecting on my time with OptimumG, one of the most important take-aways was the immense increase in my understanding of the fundamentals of vehicle dynamics and tyre behaviour. A lot of my day-to-day was spent immersed in tyre/vehicle data, kinematics and simulation work which forced my fundamentals to become strong.
I think every person that goes through an internship at OptimumG will have a unique experience depending on their interests, skills, effort and which projects are going on within the company at the time. I was fortunate to spend a lot of my time racing in both IMSA and WEC in a few different capacities. This not necessarily typical, but for me it was perfect as it’s what I’m passionate about.
Another highlight for me was the chance to live in Denver which is a fantastic area and city to live in. If you’re interested in the outdoors, hiking, running, skiing and beautiful scenery in general then you would love this too.
The experiences I had, the industry contacts I made and the friends that I still have to this day mean I look back fondly on my time with OptimumG. Without a doubt it opened many doors for me and I continue to reap the benefits of my time there every day. I would encourage anyone that is considering it to roll the dice and give it a go.”
– Tim White, Performance Engineer for Tickford Racing in V8 Supercars
– Angel Baena, Head of Simulator Program, McLaren Racing
– Julien Simon-Chautemps, Senior Race Engineer for Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo Racing – F1 Team
Renaud Dufour, Motorsport engineering consultant, Lead engineer – AMG team Black Falcon
I was very passionate about motorsport but had little experience in the Racing World.
In OptimumG my main project was to develop and code the mathematical model for a vehicle dynamics simulation. OptimumG gave me the opportunity to follow the complete process between writing equations in a piece of paper and validating the simulation with real racecar information.
I had access to information that I had only seen in text books. Tyre data, data acquisition files including tire loads and slip angle, aeromaps and all the information needed to run a successful simulation. For the first time I was able to understand and quantify how each parameter would modify the vehicle dynamics.
After my internship I decided to go back to Argentina to work in motorsports. Thanks to the knowledge I acquired at OptimumG, I was able to develop in a short time a successful career in the Racing world.”
– Carlos Caunedo created Caunedo Engineering who works for HH Timing as a developer