Denver, CO, USA
Job Type: Paid Internship
In 1997, our president and founder, Claude Rouelle, began OptimumG as a one-man, shop teaching vehicle dynamics seminars around the globe. OptimumG has now grown to become one of the world’s most sought-after racecar engineering ﬁrms – oﬀering simulation software solutions, training seminars and consulting services.
Job Description and Responsibilities
If motorsports and automobile industries excite you, apply and we’ll give you a place to channel that excitement. As an OptimumG intern, you will:
- Work with real customer data during creation and development of simulation software
- Beta test software
- Assist an OptimumG engineer
- Work on current consulting projects using OptimumG software
- Participate in all engineering meetings and work on consulting projects
- Research theories and methods used in seminar materials
- Be assigned consulting project tasks
This internship is one year, which long enough for you to be properly trained. We want you to learn as much as possible so you feel independent enough to take charge of interesting and challenging projects.
- Have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in mechanical, mechatronics, computer science or electrical engineering
- Be experienced in software coding
- Be passionate about motorsports
- Have experience in FSAE and/or hands-on experience
- Be able to understand, speak and write basic English
- Be knowledgeable about vehicle dynamics
- Have skills in Object Oriented Programming
- Be willing and able to work with a team
How Your Professional Network will Advance
Tips for a Successful Application
Stand out and impress us! Those items are key because there’s a lot of competition. Send us examples (as attachments to your application) of your work and experience and highlight your strengths.
How to Apply
- Send your resume and a cover letter highlighting your uniqueness. Describe your practical experience (both software and motorsports) and your theoretical knowledge/education. Share how your participation in OptimumG will beneﬁt the company. And, don’t forget, send samples of your work (thesis, engineering report, CAD, spreadsheets, MATLAB scripts, etc.)
- We are looking for a description of the jobs that your education and extra curricular experience have allowed you to complete satisfactorily.
- We will conﬁrm we’ve received your information and contact you if we’re interested.
- If we are interested, you’ll give you a software coding test based on your skills and experience.
- After that, we’ll schedule an interview.
Reflecting on my time with OptimumG, one of the most important take-aways was the immense increase in my understanding of the fundamentals of vehicle dynamics and tyre behaviour. A lot of my day-to-day was spent immersed in tyre/vehicle data, kinematics and simulation work which forced my fundamentals to become strong.
I think every person that goes through an internship at OptimumG will have a unique experience depending on their interests, skills, effort and which projects are going on within the company at the time. I was fortunate to spend a lot of my time racing in both IMSA and WEC in a few different capacities. This not necessarily typical, but for me it was perfect as it’s what I’m passionate about.
Another highlight for me was the chance to live in Denver which is a fantastic area and city to live in. If you’re interested in the outdoors, hiking, running, skiing and beautiful scenery in general then you would love this too.
The experiences I had, the industry contacts I made and the friends that I still have to this day mean I look back fondly on my time with OptimumG. Without a doubt it opened many doors for me and I continue to reap the benefits of my time there every day. I would encourage anyone that is considering it to roll the dice and give it a go.”
– Tim White, Performance Engineer for Tickford Racing in V8 Supercars
– Angel Baena, Head of Simulator Program, McLaren Racing
– Julien Simon-Chautemps, Senior Race Engineer for Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo Racing – F1 Team
Renaud Dufour, Motorsport engineering consultant, Lead engineer – AMG team Black Falcon
I was very passionate about motorsport but had little experience in the Racing World.
In OptimumG my main project was to develop and code the mathematical model for a vehicle dynamics simulation. OptimumG gave me the opportunity to follow the complete process between writing equations in a piece of paper and validating the simulation with real racecar information.
I had access to information that I had only seen in text books. Tyre data, data acquisition files including tire loads and slip angle, aeromaps and all the information needed to run a successful simulation. For the first time I was able to understand and quantify how each parameter would modify the vehicle dynamics.
After my internship I decided to go back to Argentina to work in motorsports. Thanks to the knowledge I acquired at OptimumG, I was able to develop in a short time a successful career in the Racing world.”
– Carlos Caunedo created Caunedo Engineering who works for HH Timing as a developer